The library offers guest borrowing privileges to qualifying individuals (see below). Users should apply at the Library Public Services Office, 116 Olin Library, and provide the appropriate documentation. Users applying for contract college Privilege Cards should apply at Mann Library. Fees are payable by cash, check or credit card.
- Hours: Mon.–Thu. 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m., Fri. 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Phone: (607) 255-5069
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Guest Borrowers who wish to access their library account online should contact the Library Public Services office about obtaining a GuestID.
|User Category||Cost||Documentation to Provide|
|Local Resident (includes Cornell students on leave of absence)||$25/month
|- Government-issued picture ID, plus one other form of personal identification
- Must not be enrolled in a degree program
|Visiting faculty, scholar, instructor or researcher||N/A||No need to apply for a library card. Obtain a regular Cornell ID by going to B07 Day Hall (Registrar's Office) and presenting your appointment letter. The data will load to our library system.|
|Staff spouse/domestic partner||Free||- Personal identification
- Certificate of marriage or domestic partnership
|Faculty spouse/domestic partner
Student spouse/domestic partner
|$40 for Spouse ID card purchased at Day Hall||Apply at Day Hall and provide:
- Photo ID
- Certificate of marriage or domestic partnership
- Cornell partner must accompany applicant
- After obtaining Spouse ID, bring to 116 Olin to be entered into the library's system
|Unregistered Grad student completing doctoral degree||$200 per semester; 4 semesters maximum||Apply at Grad School
- Must meet eligibility requirements
- see information about options
|- Government-issued picture ID plus one other form of personal identification|
|Ithaca Public School teacher||Free||- Personal identification plus authorization form completed by public school librarian|
|Cornell Affiliate||Free||Obtain ID card at Day Hall
- Bring ID to 116 Olin Library to have the record entered into the library's system
|New York State Resident||Free (access restricted to contract college libraries)*||Apply at Mann Library for Privilege Card
- Personal identification
- Proof of New York State residency
|SUNY student, faculty or staff||Free (access restricted to contract college libraries)*||Apply at Mann Library for Privilege Card
- Provide SUNY ID or proof of NYS residency
|Columbia University students, faculty and staff||Free||- Apply for Cornell borrowing privileges
- 2CUL information
Please note that students enrolled at other colleges and universities are not eligible for guest borrowing privileges, except as noted below for the SUNY academic community. Students at other institutions may borrow Cornell materials through the interlibrary loan services of their college library.
*New York State residents and State University of New York (SUNY) faculty, staff and students are eligible for free borrowing privileges at the contract college libraries: Mann, Geneva, ILR, Vet and Entomology. Apply at Mann Library. New York State residents who wish to borrow from all Cornell libraries should apply as Local Residents (fee applies).
Renewing guest borrowing privileges:
Guest borrowers who wish to renew their borrowing privileges must do so in person at 116 Olin Library. Guest borrowers must resubmit the forms of ID required and update their contact information on file. For renewal of contract college Privilege Cards and SUNY cards, please contact the Mann Library circulation office (email@example.com), (607) 255-3296.
Borrowing Privileges (good at all Cornell libraries):
- Books: 28 day loan, renewable
- Serials, DVDs and other materials: 1 day to 2 weeks, subject to owning library policy. Renewal policy varies; contact owning library for details
- Maximum of 20 items may be on loan at any given time
- No recall privileges, but you may place holds on items checked out
Guest borrowers are not eligible for:
- Interlibrary Loan
- Borrow Direct
- Document Delivery
- Accessing licensed database outside of the libraries
The borrower will receive emailed or printed notices if the library is provided with a current email or US mail address.
- Courtesy notice: sent 3 days before the due date
- Overdue notices: sent 1 day after the due date, and 14 days after the due date
- Fine/fee notice: sent the day after the fine is incurred
- Replacement bill: sent after a book is 28 days overdue
- Books: $.75/day
- Short loans: $2.00/day
- Recalls: $3.00/day
- Unreturned items (books 28 days overdue): $100.00 minimum
Blocks (suspension of privileges):
- 1 overdue recalled book
- 1 book billed for replacement
- 15 overdue books
- More than 20 items on loan
- $100 in overdue fines
Borrowing privileges are contingent upon continued eligibility and compliance with all borrowing rules and library usage policies. The library reserves the right to cancel borrowing privileges and forward unpaid charges to a collections agency.